Ask Different is a question and answer site for power users of Apple hardware and software. It only takes a minute to sign up.
Sign up to join this community
Anybody can ask a question
Anybody can answer
The best answers are voted up and rise to the top
My 2021 MacBook Pro (18,3) recently started making a strange beeping sound. I would like to know its source since the sound makes me somewhat concerned and is also quite irritating. I’m running macOS 12.6.3. I’ve characterised the beeping below:
- I made a short recording of the beeping.
- Attaching headphones or adjusting volume have no effect, i.e. the beeping can still be heard. (I’m not even completely sure if the speakers are the source.)
- The beeping stops sometimes even for a long time but so far has resumed later.
- The beeping starts again after reboot.
- SoundSource doesn’t list any applications that produce audio output.
- The beeping happens even in the login window but (so far) not in Safari launched by a guest user.
- I tried uninstalling the Teams audio driver and stopping Adobe’s processes but these didn’t seem to have any effect.
Any advice is appreciated.
You must log in to answer this question.
Browse other questions tagged .