Who wants to pay more when you head out on a trip?
Do you want to save money by not using toll roads in a route and have a smoother journey by avoiding highways? Google Maps can help you accomplish that. It’s easy to configure Google Maps to show routes without tolls or highways.
How to Avoid Tolls and Highways Using the Google Maps Website
Here’s how to make Google Maps display routes without tolls and highways on a desktop:
- Go to the Google Maps.
- Enter the start and destination points of your journey and press Enter.
- Click Options in the lower-right corner.
- Under Route options, uncheck the boxes beside Highways and Tolls. Then, click Close.
Plan your next journey without tolls and other irritating taxes!
How to Avoid Tolls and Highways on the Google Maps App
You can also see routes without tolls and highways in the Google Maps Android or iOS apps:
- Launch the Google Maps app.
- Input your departure and destination locations.
- Tap the three vertical dots (Android) or three horizontal dots (iOS) in the top right corner.
- Select Route Options (Android) or Options (iOS).
- Turn on the toggle next to Avoid Tolls and Avoid Motorways on iOS or check the box beside these options on Android.
- Click Done (on Android) or go back to the previous window (on iOS).
Once you configure Google Maps to show routes without tolls and highways, it keeps track of your preference and shows future routes based on it.
If you want to see the best route regardless of whether highways and tools are included, you can follow the above steps and uncheck the boxes you just checked.
Have a Smoother and Cheaper Journey
Avoiding highways and toll roads during your journey can make your ride cheaper and less painful. You only need to configure your preferences once in Google Maps, and they’ll be used for all your future journeys. Keep in mind that avoiding highways and toll roads may prolong your journey.